Friday, September 14, 2007

It is a senseless tragedy


Kids just don't maintain the belief that they must be careful, that they must practice safety and follow the rules if they want to live and see their next birthday.

Reminding me of that dreadful day when the boy was killed right in front of me, this is another instance of just how kids mess around, think they're super fast or that they are invincible.

Crossing a BUSY highway during rush hour to get to the other side and not using a crosswalk but daring the traffic to hit him, this boy needed to only walk LESS then a 100 yards to get to what is called a pedestrian PATH THAT GOES UNDER THE HIGHWAY. At his disposal is a safe way in which to get to the other side of the highway and what does this kid do?

Something somewhat similar to what that boy out here did. Granted, there wasn't a crosswalk for this boy out here but just up the road a ways there was a stop light. A safe place for him to cross that road. But yet again, that boy chose to dodge through cars into oncoming traffic without a second thought.

In the accident that occurred yesterday, the driver has not been found at fault in this and he shouldn't be! Again, a child, a 13-year old boy, made a very bad decision and ended his life. It's sad for the parents, it's sad for the driver of that vehicle and those who witnessed this horrible tragedy. But in the end, kids NEED to be taught, kids NEED to learn, and people need to realize that no matter how much you pound it in to the head of a kid, they will always, ALWAYS make up their own minds and make mistakes...sometimes ones that cannot be taken back.

**as those of you know who have been following my blog for quite some time, this is a sore spot with me. And when I heard about this on the radio, I had to seek out the article and post on it because it proves that kids will not always do the logical thing even when it's right in front of them.

This is a senseless tragedy that could or could not have been prevented. The decision of this boy was in his own hands. It's funny too, he was the same age as that boy that was killed out here. I think perhaps I will have to buckle down on my boy when he gets to that age and make him realize that he must be sensible. But no matter how much I teach, I can't say for sure that I will be able to convince him.

Time will tell....

No comments: