Sunday, February 11, 2007

It's pity party time

Warning: I must vent.

Feminism, isn't it lovely? I mean really, all the crying and the leaps and bounds that have been accomplished for women are in some ways a wonderful thing but in other ways, eye rolling. The pity party. Time to pity the fools that bite off more then they can chew.

It's NASA's fault that Nowack went haywire. All NASA's fault. Oh **chuckle**. I knew it was coming, that it had to be someone's fault this woman went off the deep end. I bet it was because they made her wear a diaper!

How many astronauts are there to date? And how many have gone off the deep end due to:

"a side of the Nasa programme largely hidden from view, a world of brutal competition, relentless pressure and psychological strain."

From my count, just this one but then again, I haven't researched it. In my opinion? The woman wasn't able to handle it, plain and simple. Perhaps NASA had it's reasons for this:

"Nowak had been an astronaut for 10 years before she finally flew last summer, one of the last in her class to go on a mission. The waiting and the sense of failure took a toll, said Hickam."

"Some of the members of her class had flown two or three times in front of her and somebody in Nasa told me that she sent out Christmas cards every year saying this is the year I'm going to fly', and it just never happened. So I think by the time that she was selected, all of this disappointment in Nasa and in the programme had made her personality pretty brittle."

Maybe they felt that she wasn't good space travel material? Who knows. But my favorite thing in this article?

"In addition to the pressures of her Nasa career, Nowak is a mother to three children - a teenage boy and twin five-year-old girls. And like other working mums, she had to juggle the competitive demands of her high-flying career with the challenges of parenting.

"They made more sacrifices than the right stuff' guys,'' said Dr Jon Clark, a former Nasa flight surgeon who lost his astronaut wife in the 2003 Columbia disaster. "They have to balance two careers, be a mom, wife and an astronaut. You don't come home at night, like most of the male astronauts, and have everything ready for you.'' In an often tabloid-driven, jaded era, astronauts have remained one of the few professions never tainted by scandal and still held in awe by the American public. But that esteemed status means little within the unforgiving confines of Nasa."

These women don't HAVE to balance two careers, they choose to do such.

At the dinner table nearly every night my dad would ask me when I wouldn't be eating, "Hey Screw (short for Screwy Louie), are your eyes bigger than your stomach?" In the case of Nowack? Her life's dream was much more than she could handle.

No comments: