Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Crossing that line

I've wanted to post on this whole Dakota Fanning rape scene thing but have had mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand she's an actress. On the other, she is just a child. And on the other, I am desensitized.

From the actress standpoint, it's just acting, there are adults everywhere, and it's highly monitored. The child aspect though has been a tough one.

I look at our 11-year old daughter and as a mother would never consider putting her in something that is so damn violent. Even if she thought she could handle it, she is still just a child and really not old enough to make such an adult decision.

The desensitivity? It's already all over the television! The theaters. Maybe they have doubles who step in but there's a couple of movies that stick out with me.

1) Bastard out of Carolina...HORRIBLE movie. Painful movie to watch. The actress? Jena Molone. 10 years old. There was a scene in that movie that made my heart race and I verbally cringed and couldn't watch it. It hurt inside to see this. It was violent and she was 'raped' and 'beaten' a few times.

2) An Eye for an Eye. A single rape and murder scene of the daughter who's played by Olivia Burnette. She was 19 when she did this movie but all the same, the scene was most disturbing. Perhaps it was Sally Field who made it that much more dramatic?

Others mentioned in the media were Jodi Foster and Brooke Shields.

Now obviously Hollywood and now Sundance have some twisted desire to put such things on the big screen. Who knows.

Personally, Dakota Fanning is a great little actress and I am quite fond of her. She's got a lot of talent and is cute as a button. So, I have been struggling to figure out if in fact I am upset about this BECAUSE it's DF or if it's what this sort of movie portrays.

In the end, it goes against all that I believe to be the responsiblity of the adults to make good decisions, to keep kids, kids as long as they can and not to educate them in such hands on ways. I could go back and forth with this all night long. But ultimately, this is just wrong in my opinion.

UPDATE:
No Buyers for Dakota Fanning Rape Movie

Something I didn't know about this movie that's even more twisted!
Indeed, 12-year-old Cody Hanford, who plays Fanning’s boyfriend in the provocative and poorly written outing, may actually become more of the focus than even the star. In the film, his character lures Fanning’s into a barn and then watches as she’s raped. Hanford and Fanning also have numerous kissing scenes, some in which they’re half-dressed.
So much to say about that but I will again....refrain!

No comments: