Tuesday, April 03, 2012

I think the starting shot has been fired!

So yep...I'm supposed to be taking a break from this appendage on my lap but because my first day off has already been full of excitement, AND I have time to share, I'm going to do that! So here's a story

My first day off literally started with a bang. I decided I'd continue my routine of getting up with P and the kids a six, make their lunches, pour P's coffee, clean the kitchen, get in the shower and run to the store quick and come home and just be lazy--read news, watch movies, whatever. But before I can get into this I have to give some background...

Last night at around 10 or so P and I were on our deck smoking...a car went by and there was a crunch about five seconds after it passed our house (about 1/8 of a mile down the road) .. oops, the car hit a deer. Nothing unusual. P said it was a pretty good crunch, I didn't hear it because I was talking.

So this morning at about 7:30 I left for the store...as I was nearing where the deer was hit I noticed some movement. I glanced and out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of two huge eyes staring at me. I slowed a bit--habit of living out here--and turned my head and met the eyes of a doe curled up in the ditch. She was just laying there staring at me...I then remembered that a car hit a deer right in that vicinity last night. As you can imagine, my mind went through it all and came to rest on...this poor thing has been sitting here suffering all damn night!

I stopped in the middle of the road, not sure what to do..then proceeded up the road, slammed on the brakes and turned around and parked. I got out and she didn't move so I knew at that moment she was hurt bad enough that she was unable to move. I walked towards the deer. She was very alive but from what I could see one of her legs that was underneath her was destroyed. There wasn't any blood..as I neared her she just stared at me and I stared right back--what is it about doe eyes..omg. I didn't want to get too close because I didn't want her to move much. I'm sure she was freaking so I walked back to the truck and called P. He told me to call the cops.

I called the cops and I was so worried they wouldn't see her that I asked if they wanted me to hang out but he assured me that I should just go on my way...I kind of had a feeling it wasn't for the reason of not finding her but the other...

So, I went to the store and decided I would buy an apple and a knife..yes, I'm ridiculous that way. But if they were going to kill the deer I wanted her to have one last treat. I sat in the parking lot, cut the apple up and proceeded to drive home. On the way down the big hill I started thinking about if I had stayed. Knowing the legs of the deer were messed up I knew they would have to shoot her so I started thinking about what I would tell the cops..yeah, I know, you have to shoot her but just please don't do it in front of me....

Yeah..I got to our road, saw the City truck drive across the highway down my road and the cop car parked. When I got to about 75 yards I could see the cop walking around the front of his car towards the deer..then I saw the deer scrambling as best she could trying to get up the hill to the field...then I saw the flash of gun shot and the deer collapsed...I was about 50 yards away by that time. My foot fell off the gas pedal, my mouth hung open and my eyes welled up with tears....omg...wasn't I just saying to myself not to shoot the deer when I was around? I glanced at the cut up apple, drove by at a snails pace as the cop was putting his gun in the holster, looked at the deer now resting peacefully, and tried to tell myself that I called for a reason.

I got in the driveway, blinked away the tears, opened my door and heard another shot....I cringed and my eyes began to sting again....good grief woman, what the hell is your problem. These varmints are all over the place, run through our yard, leave poop in the yard, eat your hostas...what the hell! I opened the other door to get my bag of groceries out and on the seat was the cut up apple...what a sap I am! I had to remind myself that I made that call for a reason..that it was what was best for the deer who lay there suffering all night...

All in all, it should be a good morning but having to see the animal shot like that was like a punch in the gut. I'm not angry about it...I am very glad that it happened...the whole point was to ease the suffering of an injured animal and that is the way it should be. I don't think the legs could have been saved....the one I saw was pretty messed up. But the haunting look in the eyes of that deer will be in my mind for a long time.....wow...what a way to start eh?

No comments: