Monday, May 10, 2010

Venting!

I feel like a post! Hmmm

Ok, so it's day one of hell week. I discovered that not only do I have a 2000+ word report on Judaism to turn in this Friday but I also have a 1750+ report to turn in on information systems for my IT class....AND a wedding and food to make and a field trip to attend the same day as the wedding and.......life.

Now, I sit here, got a portion of my homework done and am slacking off so I can blog a bit. I'm just a glutton. But hey, I need a sanity break too to vent some and brag a bit about my kids and hubby! And yeah, my hubby is one helluva guy...he took me fishing yesterday for Mother's Day. :)~! No fish but what a beautiful day it was--well aside from the fact that the motor was choking a bit and my brand new reel wasted a whole bunch of very expensive braided line because it keeps tangling...yeah, it's going back to the store at some point this week-Like when I meet up with the girl who offered to make the wedding cake...gosh I really hope she doesn't change her mind otherwise that's just something else I have to do this week...eeks, that could possibly be the Leaning Tower of Pisa Cake of the century if I have to make it! LOL

The idea of a wedding has really been sinking in the last few days. Our daughter is getting married this Friday!!!!! That is so exciting and heart-wrenching at the same time. While we have other things we have to do that day and the day is going to be jam packed with driving, there is nothing about it that I'm dreading. Things are coming together for the wedding and both P and I are looking forward to that day regardless of the 400+ miles P has to drive...

A little run down of our Friday here and maybe some will get why there are two milestone events that day for P and I. In the morning we have a field trip with our son....it's the biggest field trip of the year for the fifth graders as well as for their elementary years...one that we have been planning to chaperon since last June--we committed to doing it in September. Why? Well, it's really very simple. He is our youngest child, he's in his last year of elementary school before he moves on to middle school....we've had kids in this school that we love so very much for the last 15 years. It's been a rough year for us with him...we've attended that last choir concert we will ever go to for one of our kids, we've attended many of his little awards ceremonies and again, the last we will ever attend for our 'elementary' children....at his choir concert I was sick as a dog but I still went because it would be the last one and I sat there with tears in my eyes as I realized that after him, there will be no more of these....

So, yeah, people might think we're crazy for attending his field trip on the same day as our daughter's wedding but there is a good reason for it in our book....as parents who have gone through four kid's events over the years some of these things build up. Neither P or I had many issues sending them off to kindergarten...we were very blase about it and were very excited for them and for us....but now it's slowly coming to an end..all those years of raising them and watching them grow into the wonderful adults they're becoming....it's mushy and it's 'being a woman' but I really don't care. The memories of all their years are flooding back.

So this field trip is two hours away, we have to be there by 9:30am and have a tightly regimented schedule until P and I leave at 2:30 to head back for the wedding....needless to say, we will be getting dressed in the car, I will have to get up at 4 am to do my hair and make sure I don't forget anything..our other daughter will be picking up our other daughter and the food I have to make on Thursday--thank you so much GD #2--we will arrive hopefully within 45 minutes of the start of the wedding and relax for that time and then move on to the wedding...then we get to go eat and party for just a bit before we have to leave to pick up our son...sadly, he won't be attending the wedding but our daughter is being so wonderful about that...I feel bad that he won't be there but our daughter has gone out of her way to let me know that it's all ok...I really hope she means that cuz this has been thee most stressful and difficult decision P and I have had to make--torn between two kids and two events that mean the world to both of them....our daughter only gets married once and our son will only get to go on this field trip once....

Needless to say, the week we realized we had these two things on our plate was probably the worst week....I was a wreck and teary eyed because I couldn't do both...but some how we've managed to be at both and both of our kids are ok with the compromise that we came up with. Sure it means traveling like speed demons both ways but that's no matter to P and I...what matters the most is that we have managed to work out a plan that allows us to be in two different places at two different times while attending two very important events for two of our children...

Thanks to our daughter and our son for being so open to working with us on this....it means more than you two will ever know!

No comments: