Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Sadness

Sitting here waiting for my hubby to call trying to decide what to do today. It's an absolutely stunning day outside, I have homework looming, or I have one other thing I should do but the one that seems most appealing is sitting on the lake shore, holding my Avid Pearl, and basking in the sun. Ahhh, the days of summer are passing by way to quickly.

Our boys soccer team made it to state! I couldn't be more excited about that but the location of the tournament is less than exciting! We have done more traveling this soccer season for our one boy then it seems we've done in the past for the girls. I would venture a guess of nearly 1000 miles? That's just a guess but all the same..one way to the central location for one place is over 50 miles...other times we've put on nearly 200 miles both ways for a couple of the other games and if the boys win two of the state games we'll have a third to attend and we'll have to travel over 420 miles alone just for state. Wow! That's more miles than my hubby puts on his car going to and from work in a month!

But ya know, once we're at the games and things get rolling--no pun intended--the dread of the drive is gone! The anticipated excitement, the heart palpitations that occur with a close shot on net or a child getting hurt, the thrill of a win and seeing the players jump up and down when a goal is scored; all of that is so worth it!

The end of soccer season usually means the end of summer is near. That's such a sad thought. There is not enough time in summer. I love to listen to the birds sing and watch them taunt our cat in the driveway. I love sitting outside and feeling the warm breeze on my face as the sun warms my skin. I love the smell of a boat motor and the wake it leaves on a calm lake; the croaking of the frogs in the reeds or the cranes flying over the lake as they startle the fish that jump out of the water; the eagles that soar over our head so gracefully and the sound of them screeching at those tiny little birds that tease them and chase them....and the tug of the fishing line as a fish lunges as the bait and soon flies out of the water to reveal itself. A good storm isn't far off my list of favorites.

Oh the sadness that's creeping up on me as yet another wonderful summer comes closer to winter. I really hope P and I can find some time to go do a camping trip before the warmth is gone. We haven't camped in an actual tent in years and camping was one of those things we did nearly every year for many years. Camp fires, bugs on our food, rain in our tent, water in our spaghetti, critters scaring the crap out of me--LOL!

Ok, enough. I must get on with the day and stop reminiscing and dreading something that's still a ways away! Today it's summer, today it's beautiful out, and today, I'm taking my boy fishing before we do anything else! Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I hope you guys can go camping, grab the tent, the old pots and pans, and have fun and scream over the insanely large bugs!!

That's a ton of driving btw! I know I dread football season because of the driving, but we drive no farther than an hour away! Thanks for the perspective!! :)

Louie said...

The place P and I are thinking about it wayyyyy up north. Our friends went there and she told me we should watch for bear! I'm already having second thoughts! LOL

It's been a really busy season it seems. I love watching the games but hate the city traffic! The boys play their first state game tomorrow! I'm already nervous! Hope they win!