Monday, May 08, 2006

House of Pain!

Well, this weekend started off with a bang! Um, it really began last week but who's keeping track anymore.

Our oldest had her first soccer tournament. Being the first, the creaks and mishaps showed. They lost two of the three games. Our daughter has somehow grown fond of being the goalie and since the regular one quit the team, well, guess what...yep, she has kind of been placed in that postition

Of course I want to see her play. She is a go-getter and has no fear of anyone. She is shorter than most girls her age and quick as a fox. The down side to this of course is that if she does play on the field her chances of getting hurt increase quite a bit and I worry about that. We have seen some pretty serious injuries occur over the years with others. Our daughter of course has suffered cracked ribs and many twisted ankles.

Now, Pat and I were unable to attend two of the three games unfortunately but I left there safe in the knowledge that she would fare a little better being the goalie. Man, sometimes I am just so naive! We got a call Saturday night. While trying to make a save, a girl from the other team pushed her, our daughter's leg twisted a little funny when she fell and then this girl landed on top of her leg. Of course our spit fire managed to make the save, got up, put weight on her leg and that was all she wrote. However, the kid argued with the coach to play in the following game and won--dumb move on her part and had Pat and I been there I never would have allowed her to do it.

Thankfully, one of the girls on the team is the daughter of a doctor. He also happens to be our daughters regular doc. He looked at her leg and said that it is probably more than likely a sprain and told her to use her crutches and keep it wrapped. Because Pat and I weren't able to be there, there were already plans in place for her to spend the night with another team mate. Well, the dad is an investigator and the mom is a nurse so knowing that I was a little more at ease that she would be well taken care of. And she was. Of course all those involved told her that there wasn't any swelling.

The minute she walked in our door, I saw it right away. There is most definately swelling. She's in pain and we are waiting a couple of days to see if things get better for her. It was good to see her using it a little this morning, but she has been given strict orders to use her crutches!

On the other side of that, I threw out my back early last week. So between her and I we are quite a pair. With having to lift kids all day I tend to forget to use my legs and bend at the waist and hoist these kids up like nothing! Pat has been taking good care of me though and reminding me to take it easy. That can be difficult as one can only imagine. I haven't really felt that my back is on the road to healing, just at a constant level of pain.

But all is good. Things could be much worse I think. Sorry for the hiatus. Just haven't had much time on my hands or many words in which to peice together. That time of year, more time outside, less time on the puter and tv.

No comments: